Wireless sensor networks have influenced our daily life in recent years by providing different services such as remote environmental monitoring, infrastructure health monitoring, tracking the target, home and office automation and safety, public security, event-detection, identification of event boundaries, medicine, transport, etc. Since sensor nodes are generally used in hostile and unattended conditions, they are more likely to undergo various types of attacks. The issue of WSN security attacks is not only because they have small, powerful hardware platforms that integrate data sensing & processing along with wireless connections but also because of their vast areas of applications. In this document, we tried to examine all the known security issues and challenges in wireless sensor networks and provided the defense and counteraction research solution to the security- threatening attacks.
Cite this article:
Prashant Shukla. Security Issues, Challenges and Solutions For Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN): A Review. Research J. Engineering and Tech. 2020;11(2):62-68. doi: 10.5958/2321-581X.2020.00012.4
1. P. Pathak, “Issues, Challenges and Solution for Security in Wireless Sensor Networks : A Review,” 2017.
2. Pooja and R. K. Chauhan, “Review on security attacks and countermeasures in wireless sensor networks,” Int. J. Adv. Res. Comput. Sci., vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1275–1283, 2017.
3. Harpal, G. Tejpal, and S. Sharma, “A survey article on attacks and security goals in wireless sensor networks,” Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. Commun. Electron. Syst. ICCES 2017, vol. 2018-Janua, no. Icces, pp. 683–686, 2018.
4. V. Kumar, A. Jain, and P. N. Barwal, “Wireless Sensor Networks: Security Issues, Challenges and Solutions,” Int. J. Inf. Comput. Technol., vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 859–868, 2014.
5. H. Chaudhari and L. Kadam, “Wireless Sensor Networks: Security, Attacks and Challenges,” Int. J. Netw., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 4–16, 2011.
6. X. Yang and M. Ke, “Evolution of wireless sensor network security,” World Autom. Congr. Proc., vol. 2016-Octob, 2016, A. Alharbi, “Security Issues in Wireless Sensor Networks,” Indian J. Sci. Technol., vol. 10, no. 25, pp. 1–5, 2017.
7. R. W. Anwar, M. Bakhtiari, A. Zainal, A. Hanan Abdullah, and K. N. Qureshi, “Security issues and attacks in wireless sensor network,” World Appl. Sci. J., vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1224–1227, 2014.
8. M. M. Patel and A. Aggarwal, “Security attacks in wireless sensor networks: A survey,” 2013 Int. Conf. Intell. Syst. Signal Process. ISSP 2013, pp. 329–333, 2013.
9. H. Modares, R. Salleh, and A. Moravejosharieh, “Overview of security issues in wireless sensor networks,” Proc. - CIMSim 2011 3rd Int. Conf. Comput. Intell. Model. Simul., pp. 308–311, 2011.
10. T Zia and A Zomaya, “Security Issues in Wireless Sensor Networks”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Systems and Networks Communications (ICSNC 2006), Oct 29 - Nov 3, 2006.
11. S. Ahmad Salehi, M. A. Razzaque, P. Naraei, and A. Farrokhtala, “Security in wireless sensor networks: Issues and challanges,” Int. Conf. Sp. Sci. Commun. Iconsp., pp. 356–360, 2013.
12. A. Karakaya and S. Akleylek, “A survey on security threats and authentication approaches in wireless sensor networks,” 6th Int. Symp. Digit. Forensic Secur. ISDFS 2018 - Proceeding, vol. 2018- Janua, pp. 1–4, 2018.
13. K. B. Vikhyath and S. H. Brahmanand, “Wireless sensor networks security issues and challenges: A survey,” Int. J. Eng. Technol., vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 89–94, 2018.
14. X. Li, J. Xu, H. N. Dai, Q. Zhao, C. F. Cheang, and Q. Wang, “On modeling eavesdropping attacks in wireless networks,” J. Comput. Sci., vol. 11, pp. 196–204, 2015.
15. D. Kim and S. An, “PKC-based dos attacks-resistant scheme in wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Sens. J., vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 2217– 2218, 2016.
16. S. D. Babar, N. R. Prasad, and R. Prasad, “Countermeasure for intelligent cluster-head jamming attack in wireless sensor network,” 2013 Int. Conf. Priv. Secur. Mob. Syst. Prism. 2013 - co-located with Glob. Wirel. Summit, pp. 1–8, 2014.
17. B. Tian, Y. Yao, L. Shi, S. Shao, Z. Liu, and C. Xu, “A novel sybil attack detection scheme for wireless sensor network,” Proc. 2013 5th IEEE Int. Conf. Broadband Netw. Multimed. Technol. IEEE IC- BNMT 2013, pp. 294–297, 2013.
18. V. C. Manju, S. L. Senthil Lekha, and M. Sasi Kumar, “Mechanisms for detecting and preventing denial of sleep attacks on wireless sensor networks,” 2013 IEEE Conf. Inf. Commun. Technol. ICT 2013, no. Ict, pp. 74–77, 2013.
19. C. Chen, L. Hui, Q. Pei, L. Ning, and P. Qingquan, “An effective scheme for defending denial-of-sleep attack in wireless sensor networks,” 5th Int. Conf. Inf. Assur. Secur. IAS 2009, vol. 2, pp. 446– 449, 2009.
20. K. Xue, P. Hong, H. Lu, B. Zhu, and L. Li, “Security improvement on an efficient key distribution mechanism for large-scale wireless sensor network,” 2nd Int. Conf. Anti-counterfeiting, Secur. Identification, ASID 2008, no. 1, pp. 140–143, 2008.
21. E. Y. Vasserman and N. Hopper, “Vampire attacks: Draining life from wireless ad Hoc sensor networks,” IEEE Trans. Mob. Comput., vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 318–332, 2013.
22. L. Hu and D. Evans, “Using Directional Antennas to Prevent Wormhole Attacks,” Netw. Distrib. Syst. Symp. NDSS, no. February, pp. 1–11, 2004.
23. M. Alotaibi, “Security to wireless sensor networks against malicious attacks using Hamming residue method,” Eurasip J. Wirel. Commun. Netw., vol. 2019, no. 1, 2019.
24. H. N. Dai, Q. Wang, D. Li, and R. C. W. Wong, “On eavesdropping attacks in wireless sensor networks with directional antennas,” Int. J. Distrib. Sens. Networks, vol. 2013, 2013.
25. N. Siasi, A. Aldalbahi, and M. A. Jasim, “Reliable transmission scheme against security attacks in wireless sensor networks,” 2019 Int. Symp. Networks, Comput. Commun. ISNCC 2019, pp. 1–6, 2019.