Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Vardhaman College of Engineering, Kacharam, Shamshabad, 501218, Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
Volume - 11,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2020
Advanced super critical power generation units need handling of steam at around 750oC to increase the efficiency of unit. Power generation units are using ferritic steel (9 cr-1 Mo steel) but it cannot withstand very high temperatures and pressures. Ni based super alloy is one material that is better suitable for this purpose. The available super alloys can withstand high temperatures but rate of corrosion is also very high and will reduce the life of the steam transporting tubes. This means frequent breakdown of the plant and replacement of tubes is needed. The paper provides an insight on factors affecting the selection of heat exchanger tube materials especially those used in power generation units. It further emphasizes on the importance of continued research in high temperature heat exchanger materials in order to maximize reliability and minimize cost by upgrading the existing materials by slight additions of alloying elements or innovating new materials. Criteria for material selection, factors affecting the performance of heat exchangers and materials used for high temperature heat exchangers are discussed.
Cite this article:
K.V.P. Chakradhar. Materials for High Temperature Heat Exchanger Applications: A Review. Research J. Engineering and Tech. 2020;11(3):125-132. doi: 10.5958/2321-581X.2020.00022.7
K.V.P. Chakradhar. Materials for High Temperature Heat Exchanger Applications: A Review. Research J. Engineering and Tech. 2020;11(3):125-132. doi: 10.5958/2321-581X.2020.00022.7 Available on: http://ijersonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-11-3-1
1. Vijay Kumar Patel, Prakash Kumar Sen, Gopal Sahu. Review on Reliable Material For Heat. International Journal of Technology Enhancements and Emerging Engineering Research. 2016; 4:29-31.
2. Xiang Zhang, Martinus Adrian Arie, Farah Singer, Ratnesh Tiwari. Recent developments in high temperature heat exchangers: A review. Frontiers in Heat and Mass Transfer. 2018; 11:1-14.
3. Puyear RB. Materials Selection Criteria for Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers for Use in the Process Industries. Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger. 1981; 10-17.
4. Anandan S, Rajesh R. Tubing Material Selection for Nuclear Power Plant Heat Exchangers. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology. 2018; 9:506–513.
5. Farhami N, Bozorgian A. Factors Affecting Selection of Tubes of Heat Exchanger. Presented at International Conference on Chemistry and Chemical Process, Singapore. 2011.
6. Bengt Sunden. High Temperature Heat Exchangers. Presented at International Conference on Enhanced, Compact and Ultra-Compact Heat Exchangers: Science, Engineering and Technology, USA. 2005.
7. Boomsma K, Poulikakos D, Zwick F. Metal Foams as Compact High Performance Heat Exchangers. Mechanics of Materials. 2003; 35:1161-1176.
8. Roy AK, Virupaksha V. Performance of Alloy 800H for High-Temperature Heat Exchanger Applications. Materials Science and Engineering A Elsevier Science. 2007; 452:665-672.
9. Manglik RM. Huzayyin OA, Jog MA. Fin Effects in Flow Channels of Plate-Fin Compact Heat Exchanger Core. Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications. 2011; 3:1-9.
10. Yanhui Han, Yan Liu, Ming Lia, Jin Huang. A review of development of micro-channel heat exchanger applied in air-conditioning system. Energy Procedia. 2012; 14:148–153.
11. Sommers A, Wang Q, Han C. T'Joen Y, Park Y, Jacob A. Ceramics and Ceramic Matrix Composites for Heat Exchangers in Advanced Thermal Systems—A Review. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2010; 30:1277-1291.
12. Treece B, Vessa P, McKeirnan R. Microturbine Recuperator Manufacturing and Operating Experience. Presented at ASME Turbo Expo 2002: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Amsterdam, Netherlands. 2002; 1017-1023.
13. Teng Kah Hou, Salim Newaz Kazi, Abu Bakar Mahat, Chew Bee Teng, Ahmed Al-Shamma’a, Andy Shaw. Industrial Heat Exchanger: Operation and Maintenance to Minimize Fouling and Corrosion. Heat Exchangers- Advanced features and Applications. 2017.
14. Daniel S. Janikowski. Selecting Reliable Heat Exchanger Tube Material. Presented at API Power Chem, Queensland. 2014.
15. Sachchidanand J. Nimankar, Sachin K. Dahake. Review of Heat Exchangers. Global Journal of Engineering Science and Researches.
16. 2016; 3:81-92.
17. M. Rockel. Use of Highly Alloyed Stainless Steels and Nickel Alloys in the Chemical Industry. Presented at Achoma Conference, Frankfurt, Germany.1928; 506-513.
18. W.H. Dickinson, R.W. Pick. Manganese-Dependent Corrosion in the Electric Utility Industry. Presented at NACE Annual Conference Corrosion, Denver, CO. 2002.
19. R.A. McAllister, D.H. Eastham, N.A. Dougharty, M. Hollier. A Study of Scaling and Corrosion in Condenser Tubes Exposed to River Water. Corrosion. 1961; 17:579-588.