G.V.R. Srinivasa Rao, G. Rupa Kumari, B. Kalyanaramu
G.V.R. Srinivasa Rao1 G. Rupa Kumari2*, B. Kalyanaramu3
1Faculty, Department of Civil Engineering, AU College of Engineering (A), Andhra University, Visakhapatnam-530003, Andhra Pradesh (India).
2Research Scholar, Department of Civil Engineering, AU College of Engineering (A), Andhra University, Visakhapatnam-530003, Andhra Pradesh (India).
3Faculty, Department of Chemistry, M.R. College (A), Vizianagaram-535002, Andhra Pradesh (India).
Volume - 11,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2020
The aim of the present work is to study the groundwater quality assessment of Kurupam and surrounding mandals of Vizianagaram District. It is done by analyzing the groundwater samples collected from several sampling locations spread across the study area uniformly. A total number of 528 groundwater samples are collected from bore holes of 44 selected locations in the study area at regular monthly intervals and analyzed for various quality indicating parameters such as pH, EC, TDS, TH, TA, Ca2+, Mg2+, Na+, CO32-, HCO3-, Cl-, SO42-, NO3-, F- using standard laboratory procedures. The overall quality of groundwater in the study area was assessed using water quality index method of Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment (CCME-WQI). From the analysis it has been observed that quality of about 13.64% of the water samples is Excellent, about 59.09% is Good, about 18.18 % is Fair and about 9.09% is Marginal in the study area.
Cite this article:
G.V.R. Srinivasa Rao, G. Rupa Kumari, B. Kalyanaramu. Assessment of Groundwater Quality using CCME-WQI Method in Kurupam Region, Vizianagaram District, Andhra Pradesh, India. Research J. Engineering and Tech. 2020;11(4):178-186. doi: 10.5958/2321-581X.2020.00028.8
G.V.R. Srinivasa Rao, G. Rupa Kumari, B. Kalyanaramu. Assessment of Groundwater Quality using CCME-WQI Method in Kurupam Region, Vizianagaram District, Andhra Pradesh, India. Research J. Engineering and Tech. 2020;11(4):178-186. doi: 10.5958/2321-581X.2020.00028.8 Available on: https://ijersonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-11-4-2
1. G. Srinivas Rao, G. Nageswara Rao. Assessment of Water Quality Index for Groundwater in Greater Visakhapatnam City, Andhra Pradesh, India, Asian J. Research Chem. 2011; 4(8): 1324-1333.
2. G. V. R. Srinivasa Rao, G. Rupa Kumari, T. P. Sreejani, B. Kalyanaramu. WQI based Analysis of Groundwater Quality in Lakkavarapu Kota region, Vizianagaram District, Andhra Pradesh. Research J. Science and Tech. 2020; 12(4):235-241.
3. Sajad Abdul-Geni Abdullah, Naeem Shanad Hammadi, Yasser Wassfi Ouda, Assessment of the lower reaches of Tigris River by a development of a water quality index (WQI). Research J. Science and Tech. 2018; 10(1): 01-08
4. Mohammad Mohsin, Vidya Pradhan, Mazahar Farooqui, S.D. Rathod. Groundwater Quality: A Review. Asian J. Research Chem. 2011; 4(12): 1812-1817.
5. Nandkishor G. Telkapalliwar. Analysis of Groundwater Quality Parameters in Selected Villages of Arvi Region of Wardha District, Maharashtra. Research J. Engineering and Tech. 2017; 8(2): 125-127.
6. D. Kannan, N. Mani. Chemical variability of groundwater samples collected from Needamangalam Region, Thiruvarur District, Tamil Nadu (India). Asian J. Research Chem. 2019; 12(5):248-252.
7. Pratima Rani Dwivedi, M. R. Augur. Physico Chemical Analysis of Ground Water in Chirimiri Area of Korea District, Chhattisgarh. Research J. Engineering and Tech. 2014; 5(1): 38-41.
8. R. Pradeep Kumar, Vijayalakshmi B. Assessment of Fluoride Concentration in Ground Water in Madurai District, Tamil Nadu, India. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(1): 309-310.
9. Milan Hait, Leena Sahu, Kavita Nag. Hydro Chemical Assessment of Ground and Surface Water Bodies in and Around of NTPC Seepat, Bilaspur (C.G.) India. Asian J. Pharm. Ana.2013; 3(3): 79-82.
10. Madu Anthony Joseph Chinenyeze, Otuokere Ifeanyi Edozie. Quantitative Risk Assessment of Groundwater pH during Seismic Exploration in Sagbama, Niger Delta, Nigeria. Int. J. Tech. 2017; 7(1): 01-06
11. Giriyappanavar B.S and Patil, R.R Application of CCME WQI in Assessing Water Quality for Fort Lake of Belgaum, Karnataka. Indian Journal of Applied Research. 2013; .3(04): 32-33.
12. Mahagamagea M.G.Y.L., Pathmalal M Managea. Water Quality Index (CCME-WQI) Based Assessment Study of Water Quality in Kelani River Basin, Sri Lanka. The 1st Environment and Natural Resources International Conference. Thailand, November 2014; 199-204.
13. Venkatramanan S, Chung. S.Y., Ramkumar T, Rajesh R and Gnanachandrasamy G. Assessment of groundwater quality using GIS and CCME-WQI techniques: a case study of Thiruthuraipoondi city in Cauvery deltaic region, Tamil Nadu, India. Desalination and Water Treatment, 2016; 57: 12058–12073.
14. Wagh V.M, Shrikant Mukate, Dipak Panaskar, Uday Sahu Manesh Aamalawar and Aniket Muley Yoges. Development of CCME WQI model for the groundwater appraisal for drinking in Basaltic terrain of Kadava River basin, Nashik, India. INDIAN J. MAR. SCI., 2019; 48 (12): 1933-1940.
15. Wagh V.M, Panaskar,.D.B , Muley A.Aand Mukate S.V . Groundwater suitability evaluation by CCME-WQI model for Kadava River Basin, Nashik, Maharashtra, India. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment. 2017; 3: 557-565.
16. APHA/AWWA/WEF. Standard methods for the Examination of water and waste water, American Public Health Association/ American water works association, Water Environment Federation, Washington DC, USA. 1998; 20th edition: pp 235-237.
17. Dunnette, D.A. A geographically variable water quality index used in Oregon. J. Water Pollution Cont. Fed., 1979; 51(1): 53-61.
18. Bharti N, Katyal. D. Water quality indices used for surface water vulnerability assessment. International Journal of Environmental Sciences. 2011; 2(1): 154-164.
19. Shweta Tyagi, Bhavtosh Sharma, Prashant Singh, Rajendra Dobhal. Water Quality Assessment in Terms of Water Quality Index, American Journal of Water Resources. 2013; 1(3): 34-38.
20. Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment. Canadian Water Quality Guidelines for the Protection of Aquatic Life: CCME Water Quality Index 1.0, Technical Report, Canadian Council of Ministers of the environment winnipeg, MB, Canada. 2001.