Kumar Manoj, Pranay Punj Pankaj, Arvind Agarawal
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Kumar Manoj1, Pranay Punj Pankaj2, Arvind Agarawal3*
1Department of Botany, Marwari College, Tilka Manjhi Bhagalpur University, Bhagalpur, 812007, Bihar, India.
2Department of Zoology, Nagaland University (Central University), Lumami, Lumami – 798 627.
3Human Resource Development Centre, Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur -492 010.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
The first report of African Swine Fever (ASF) was confirmed in India in April 2020, making it the second cross-border disease in India after SARS-CoV-2 induced COVID-19. The northeastern states of India – Assam and Arunachal Pradesh confirmed the first case of ASF in the last week of April 2020. Subsequently, almost all northeastern states of India reported ASF outbreaks successively by April 2021. The ASF outbreaks in 2022 were reported from northern, eastern and southern parts of India which include Uttarakhand, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Kerala. Such outbreaks not only severely threaten economy and livelihood of people involved in pig farming, but also have severe environmental consequences ranging from contamination of natural water bodies to the extinction of threatened species. In this COVID-19 pandemic, concerns arising due to ASF on the farming economy and environment, in the Indian context, have largely remained ignored. This paper attempts to address agricultural and environmental issues, and further risks, developing due to the first and subsequent outbreaks of ASF in India.
Cite this article:
Kumar Manoj, Pranay Punj Pankaj, Arvind Agarawal. A perspective on the first and subsequent outbreaks (2020-2022) of African swine fever in India and its impact on agriculture and environment. Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2022; 13(3): 71-6. doi: 10.52711/2321-581X.2022.00009
Kumar Manoj, Pranay Punj Pankaj, Arvind Agarawal. A perspective on the first and subsequent outbreaks (2020-2022) of African swine fever in India and its impact on agriculture and environment. Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2022; 13(3): 71-6. doi: 10.52711/2321-581X.2022.00009 Available on: https://ijersonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-13-3-1
1. (WOAH) World organization for animal health., African swine fever. https://www.oie.int/en/animal-health-in-the-world/animal-diseases/african-swine-fever/ [Last accessed on May 08, 2020].
2. Mason-D'Croz, D., Bogard, J. R., Herrero, M., and et al., Modelling the global economic consequences of a major African swine fever outbreak in China. Nat. Food., 2020, 1, 221-228.
3. Wang, T., Sun, Y. and Qiu, H. J., African swine fever: an unprecedented disaster and challenge to China. Infect. Dis. Poverty., 2018, 7(1), 111.
4. Intodia, V., Pork-2016. In GAIN (Global Agricultural Information Network) Report, GAIN Report Number: IN6098, USDA Foreign Agricultural Service, Post New Delhi, 2016.
5. The Economic Times., Amid COVID-19, Assam battles African swine fever. 2020, May 06, https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/amid-covid-19-assam-battles-african-swine-fever/articleshow/75571689.cms [Last accessed on May 08, 2020].
6. The Hindu., African swine fever kills 2900 pigs in Assam. 2020a, May 06, https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/assam-swine-fever-death-toll-rises/article31513480.ece [Last accessed on May 08, 2020].
7. The Tribune., African swine fever kills over 13,000 pigs in Assam. 2020, May 10, https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/african-swine-fever-kills-over-13-000-pigs-in-assam-82989 [Last accessed on May 11, 2020].
8. Hindustan Times., African swine fever hits Assam’s piggery sector; government orders culling of pigs. 2020, September 26. https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/african-swine-fever-hits-assam-s-piggery-sector-government-orders-culling-of-pigs/story-V0DhJ4643hblBhyTY7UjFK.html [Last accessed on October 05, 2021]
9. The Indian Express., Amid African Swine Fever outbreak, Assam opposes Centre’s nod to transport pigs to Northeast. 2020, July 26. https://indianexpress.com/article/north-east-india/assam/amid-african-swine-fever-outbreak-assam-opposes-centres-nod-to-transport-pigs-from-punjab-haryana-to-northeast-6521664/ [Last accessed on October 05, 2021]
10. DownToEarth., Illegal pig import may be behind African swine fever outbreak in Manipur, say officials. 2021, June 23. https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/wildlife-biodiversity/illegal-pig-import-may-be-behind-african-swine-fever-outbreak-in-manipur-say-officials-77615 [Last accessed on July 17, 2021]
11. The Economic Times., Close to 5,000 livestock die in Mizoram due to African Swine Fever. 2021a, June 04. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/india/close-to-5000-livestock-die-in-mizoram-due-to-african-swine-fever/articleshow/83240174.cms [Last accessed on July 17, 2021]
12. The Economic Times., Mizoram declares some areas in four districts as epicentre of African Swine Fever. 2021b, April 21., https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/india/mizoram-declares-some-areas-in-four-districts-as-epicentre-of-african-swine-fever/articleshow/82182886.cms [Last accessed on July 17, 2021]
13. The Hindu., After Mizoram, African Swine Fever strikes in Meghalaya. 2021, May 14. https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/after-mizoram-african-swine-fever-strikes-in-meghalaya/article34553150.ece [Last accessed on July 17, 2021]
14. NagalandExpress., Outbreak of African Swine Fever detected in Nagaland. 2021, April 17. https://nagalandexpress.com/nagaland/outbreak-of-african-swine-fever-detected-in-nagaland/ [Last accessed on July 17, 2021]
15. Hindustan Times., Tripura reports four positive cases of African Swine Fever. 2021, September 22. https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/tripura-reports-four-positive-cases-of-african-swine-fever-101632316957328.html [Last accessed on October 05, 2021]
16. Oneindia., African swine fever outbreak in Uttarakhand: Know all about the viral disease. 2022, July 12. https://www.oneindia.com/india/african-swine-fever-outbreak-in-uttarakhand-know-all-about-the-viral-disease-3432758.html [Last accessed on August 06, 2022]
17. The Telegraph online., Bihar government cautions against African swine fever. 2022, July 12. https://www.telegraphindia.com/india/bihar-government-cautions-against-african-swine-fever/cid/1874191 [Last accessed on August 06, 2022]
18. Hindustan Times., Pork, pig markets banned in UP’s Bareilly after African swine fever confirmed. 2022, July 26. https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/pork-pig-markets-banned-in-up-s-bareilly-after-african-swine-fever-confirmed-101658823244653.html [Last accessed on August 06, 2022]
19. The Hindu., Amid pandemic, 1300 pigs die of swine fever in Assam. 2020b, April 22, https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/amid-pandemic-1300-pigs-die-of-swine-fever-in-assam/article31403558.ece [Last accessed on May 08, 2020].
20. The Hindu., African swine fever confirmed in Kannur; pigs to be culled through electrical stunning. 2022a, August 01. https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/kerala/african-swine-fever-confirmed-in-kannur-pigs-to-be-culled-through-electrical-stunning/article65710122.ece [Last accessed on August 06, 2022]
21. The Hindu., African swine fever: State bans transportation of pigs. 2022b, July 16. https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/kerala/swine-fever-state-bans-transportation-of-pigs/article65648119.ece [Last accessed on August 06, 2022]
22. Chen C., China’s pig industry eyes fresh fears over Sichuan ASF outbreak. 2021, July 8. https://www.agricensus.com/Article/China-s-pig-industry-eyes-fresh-fears-over-Sichuan-ASF-outbreak-17388.html [Last accessed on July 18, 2021].
23. Huang J., China on alert after first African swine fever case in three months. 2021, January 21. https://www.agricensus.com/Article/China-on-alert-after-first-African-swine-fever-case-in-three-months-15154.html [Last accessed on July 17, 2021].
24. The New Indian Express., Assam reels under pig pandemic, more carcasses fished out from Brahmaputra. 2020a, May 4. https://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/2020/may/04/assam-reels-under-pig-pandemic-more-carcasses-fished-out-from-brahmaputra-2139107.html [Last accessed on July 27, 2021].
25. The New Indian Express., Now, virus in carcasses from China said to be behind deaths of 2200 pigs in Assam. 2020b, May 2.
https://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/2020/may/02/now-virus-in-carcasses-from-china-said-to-be-behind-deaths-of-2200-pigs-in-assam-2138296.html [Last accessed on July 27, 2021].
26. The Hindu., Swine fever: alert in Kaziranga National Park after recovery of 28 pig carcasses. 2020c, May 4. https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/swine-fever-alert-in-kaziranga-national-park-after-recovery-of-28-pig-carcasses/article31498813.ece [Last accessed on July 27, 2021]
27. The Deccan Herald., African swine fever outbreak in Assam: extinction threat to pygmy hogs, smallest pigs found in Assam jungles. 2020, October 16. https://www.deccanherald.com/national/east-and-northeast/african-swine-fever-outbreak-in-assam-extinction-threat-to-pygmy-hogs-smallest-pigs-found-in-assam-jungles-902357.html [Last accessed on August 01, 2021]
28. Meijaard, E., Narayan, G. and Deka, P. 2019. Porcula salvania. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2019. e.T21172A44139115.